I am a sunchaser

Let's first be clear, I do not worship the sun, but boy do I like it.  A lot.

I grew up hating the sun.  I had this mop of hair that was like a wool blanket on my back.  With my pale white skin dotted with freckles and my faintly red-tinted hair, you can imagine what the sun did to me in the summer months.  My dad would hold my face in the sun and laugh as he watched the freckles pop out on my nose.  I hated the freckle 'stache that were a result of those moments in the sun.

In high school, my friends would convince me to go sun-tanning with them.  I don't know why I would let them convince me, since for me it was sun-burning.

I moved into the city and I got sick one summer afternoon.  I was feeling queasy and exhausted, and I thought, I'll go have a nap in the sun and see what that does.  When I awoke, the sickness was gone and I was left with a smile on my face.

Gradually, I learned how to love the heat.  I learned how to run in 30 degree weather when the humidex was 45.  I learned how to sit still on a beach for hours, and rotate as though on a spit.  With my irish white skin I don't think I will ever achieve a tan, but how I look forward to being consistently warm from the rays of the sun.

When I moved into my apartment I was saddened to discover that the windows face the northeast.  But, one Sunday, I got up earlier than usual and noticed that the sun hits my balcony for a short window of time.  As the season grows closer to summer, the length of time that the sun visits my balcony is increasing.  It reminds me of home, where I would eat my breakfast and read my Bible in the sun in the mornings before work.  I like to start my day with the sun.

I wonder what people think when they see me edging my way along the balcony, chasing the sun, on my makeshift chair in my pyjama's at 7, 8, 9 in the morning.

It just makes me smile.

That's all.

Comments

Popular Posts