The wind is different

I have always liked the wind.  Even when it is gael force and howling, there is something about the strength of moving air that intrigues me.  That was, until, I moved to Ontario.

I grew up and lived in the prairies my whole life.  I moved to Ontario for a brief period, only to return to my roots.  The wind in Ontario is relentless in comparison to the wind here.  I know you probably won't believe me, but if you live anywhere near the tip of a great lake you will agree with me.

As a child I thought that wind was caused by the trees inhaling and exhaling.  It is true to some extent, but not the extent that I thought as a kid.  The reason why I thought this is because the wind always gusts on the prairies. It is as though it is breathing.  You get brief respites in the middle of a wind storm as the storm inhales for a second only to blow harder again.  Yet in those moments the wind relaxes a bit and allows you a moment to think.

I enjoyed my time in Ontario, it ticked a lot of things off the ol' bucket list, but I was not expecting the wind.  It was ferocious when it blew.  It did not stop.  I often said that when the weather was nice, it was beautiful, and when it wasn't, it was miserable, there was no happy medium.  The wind was a force to be reckoned with, I know that this phrase is cliche, but I sincerely mean it.  It was a force, and it was going to take your inheritance with it if you weren't careful.

Often, while in Ontario, I was caught in 80km/hr winds, and if that were in the prairies, it would be a 80km/hr wind with gusts up to 100.  This may seem worse, but the relativity of the 20 kilometres makes a significant difference.  It shocked me when I was fighting the wind as a constant wall to push against instead of being able to make ground between gusts.  The wind is worse in Ontario than it is on the prairies, and if you don't believe me, google "the best sailing in Canada" and you'll see what pops up.

That's all.

Comments

Popular Posts